Footpaths and Rights of Way

Footpaths and Rights of Way are contained within the Definitive Map which is held by Derbyshire County Council

They are legally obliged to protect and assert your rights to use the Rights of Way Network and to update the Definitive Map and Statement (the legal record of Rights of Way for the county).

They deal with disputed routes, obstructions to paths, signing paths from roads, path maintenance, path structures (bridges, gates and stiles) and promoting the use of the network.

If you have an enquiry about a promoted route or you would like to report a problem please Call Derbyshire 01629 533190.

Applications to divert a Public Footpath - Erewash Borough Council has powers under both the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and the Highways Act 1980 to divert (move) or stop up (extinguish) Public Footpaths within the borough.

Guidance notes and an application form are available from Democratic Services, Ilkeston Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 5RP, email

Grazing Land

Land and premises

We hold records relating to buildings, parks and open spaces, land surveying and council property records.

We do hold some land within the borough which has specific consent for grazing for animals such as horses and cattle. This is available to the general public by way of a formal licence agreement.

We have an estates function for the corporate and strategic management of it's land and property portfolio.

You can contact us by:


Pride-line : 0115 850 8383 (24 hours confidential hotline).

For out of hours emergencies please call 0115 907 2244.

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer