Erewash Borough Council

Cost of Living

Are you worried about the rising cost of energy bills, food and transport? You are not alone; the cost of living crisis is affecting many of us. Whatever your money worries may be, we've put together some helpful information. There is also a Cost of living support factsheet on GOV.UK.

Advice on getting help with the cost of living is also available from Citizens Advice.

Warm Spaces

As we become aware of warms spaces that are available to visit in Erewash we will list them here. Some of Derbyshire County Council's buildings and other venues are open as warm spaces. You can also find out about grants to open a warm space on its website. The Infusion Coffee House - Oasis Christian Church, Derby Road, Long Eaton is a Derbyshire County Council funded warm space.

  • Ashbrook Community Centre, Borrowash on Mondays from 10.30am to 11.30am
  • Ashbrook Community Centre, Borrowash on Mondays from 11.30am to 1pm for lunch
  • Co-op Funeral Care, Victoria Avenue, Borrowash on Tuesdays from 9.30am to 11.30am - refreshments available
  • Elephant Rooms, Draycott on Tuesdays from 10am to 2pm - hot drinks and cake available
  • All Saints Church, Ockbrook on Wednesdays from 10am to 2pm - refreshments available
  • Petersham Hall, Grasmere Road, Long Eaton on Mondays from 9.30am to 11.30am - hot breakfast and chat
  • Christ Church Methodist Church, Derby Road, Long Eaton from 11am to 2pm - soup and hot drinks
  • Infusion Coffee Shop, Derby Road, Long Eaton on Tuesdays from 1.30pm to 3pm - free hot drinks
  • St John's Church Canal Street, Long Eaton on Wednesdays - 11am for refreshments, midday for a hot lunch and 1pm to 3pm for well-being activities
  • Trinity Methodist Church, Cross Street, Long Eaton open Thursdays - 10.30am for hot drinks and midday for a hot meal
  • St Mary's Church, Wilsthorpe Road, Sawley open Fridays from 10.30am to 2pm - hot drinks, toast and soup

Help with your council tax

Council Tax Support is not always enough for you to be able to pay your Council Tax bill. If you have unusual or extreme circumstances which are causing hardship we may be able to help through the Council Tax Discretionary Fund. Find out more on the Council tax support page.

Advice if you rent a house

If you rent a house and you are struggling to pay your rent because of your circumstances or you are on a low household income, you may be eligible for universal credit. Find out if you are eligible on the Understanding Universal Credit website.

If you are State Pension Credit Age or in supported accommodation you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. See if you are entitled to claim.

Find out what benefits you are entitled to

Turn2Us are a National Charity who provide financial support and advice about what customers may be entitled to. Visit the Turn2Us website to can see what benefits you are entitled to. 

Discretionary Housing Payments

Residents in Erewash can check if they are eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment. The scheme - funded by the Department for Work and Pension - offers assistance to those claiming Housing Benefit and those receiving the Housing Element within their Universal Credit award if it is demonstrated that they have a shortfall between the rent liability and the amount of benefit they receive. For those in receipt of Council Tax Support, the Council may also be able to assist with outstanding Council Tax. All applications are assessed based upon household Income/capital and essential expenditure. Please contact the Council on 0115 9071010 for further information or to make a claim. You can apply online using your My Erewash account.

Other organisations that can help

Debt Advice

If you are experiencing difficulties paying any debts, the Council recommends that you contact the Citizens Advice on 0808 278 7954 for independent and free advice. Drop in services are available within the Erewash area - please contact them for further details.

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund (HSF) was originally provided to the County Council by the Department for Work and Pensions to cover the period October 2021 to the end of March 2022. In the Spring Statement the Chancellor announced further HSF funds to cover the summer period up to 30 September. Full details about the fund are available on the Derbyshire County Council website. Find out more at

Help with Energy Bills

The Severn Trent Big Difference Scheme: The Big Difference Scheme can offer a reduction of water bills to any Severn Trent customer with a household income below £16,480.

British Gas Energy Trust. NOT exclusive to its customers. If you are facing bills you can’t afford and struggling with the rising cost of energy The British Gas Energy Trust can help. They are an independent charitable trust set up to support families and individuals facing financial hardship and energy debt across England, Wales and Scotland.

Food banks

Find your nearest food bank

Cost of Living campaign

Derbyshire County Council has launched a Cost of Living Campaign with lots of information and advice about help that you may be entitled to such as community banks and school meal vouchers for children.

Help for veterans

Veterans' Gateway | Royal British Legion Veterans’ Gateway supports veterans and their families to find the help they need.