Ilkeston and Long Eaton Town Halls

The council's receptions are currently closed. More information can be found on our latest news page

Local Restrictions Support Grants

All information relating to Local Restrictions Support Grants for businessess can be found on our Covid Grant page.

If you have symptoms

If you or someone in your household has coronavirus symptoms, stay at home and begin to self-isolate for 10 days from when your symptoms start. Arrange to have a test for COVID-19 if you have not already had one. The result of the test will determine how long you must stay at home and self-isolate.

If you are contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service either because you have tested positive or you have been identified as being in contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus, you are now required by law to self-isolate. Failure to comply with these requirements, including employers who do not allow employees to self-isolate, may result in a fine of at least £1,000 and up to £10,000 for repeated or serious offences. More information on this can be found on the Government's website.

Anyone can catch coronavirus, and anyone can spread it. We all have a crucial part to play in keeping the number of new infections down and protecting our loved ones.

The latest advice surrounding Covid 19 can be found on the Government's website which also includes the latest guidance on shielding

Self-Isolation Payments

From 28 September 2020, eligible individuals are entitled to a Self-Isolation payment or discretionary support payment of £500. This is to support people on low incomes who are unable to work from home if they are told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace and will lose income as a result.

The scheme will last until 31 January 2021.

You may be entitled to a Self-Isolation payment of £500 if you:

  • Have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive; and
  • Are employed or self-employed; and
  • Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result; and
  • Are in receipt of one of the following benefits*:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
    • Pension Credit

 *You may be entitled to a discretionary £500 lump sum self-isolation payment if you meet the main qualifying criteria for the Self-Isolation payment but are not in receipt of one the above qualifying benefits. Eligibility for a £500 discretionary payment is restricted to individuals who:

  • Are not currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit; but
  • Are in receipt of Council Tax Support (CTS); or
  • Have claimed one of the qualifying benefits but not yet had a decision - the claim must have been made before the start of the self-isolation period; or
  • Did receive CTS or one of the qualifying benefits in the last two months.

For more information on discretionary payments visit our Discretionary Self-Isolation Payment Scheme page.

Applications for the payment can be made by logging in or registering for a My Erewash account.

For more information on Self-Isolation Payments visit our Self-Isolation Privacy Notice page.

Working from home because of coronavirus?

You may be able to claim tax relief for additional household costs if you have to work at home on a regular basis, either for all or part of the week. This includes if you have to work from home because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

You cannot claim tax relief if you choose to work from home.

Additional costs include things like heating, metered water bills, home contents insurance, business calls or a new broadband connection. They do not include costs that would stay the same whether you were working at home or in an office, such as mortgage interest, rent or council tax.

Check if you can claim.

Community Safety support information:

The impact of the Coronavirus is being felt in our communities in many different ways, and will be personal to each individual, couple or family. There is still support out there for those that need it, and it is important that this is accessed if required.

 Please see below for information on the following topics:

Breaches of Social Distancing
Anti-Social Behaviour
Citizen's Advice
-  Domestic Abuse
Drug and Alcohol Support
Hate Crime
Loan Shark / Illegal Lenders
-  Mental Health
Modern Slavery
Online safety
Sexual Abuse and Violence
Counter Terrorism and Extremism


If you believe that someone is breaching the Government guidance on social distancing, please report this to Derbyshire Police. They are asking for residents to use their online reporting facilities where possible.

Website: Online contact form 
Telephone: 101, only when urgent.
Emergencies only: 999.



The council’s Community Safety Team is still working with partner organisations to keep Erewash Safe, including dealing with anti-social behaviour. However, the way that we are currently delivering services is different to how we would normally operate due to social distancing measures.

We are still here to support and advise you, however, we will not be able to visit you at your home, or meet with you face to face. There are lots of ways that we can receive the information we need from you. Please contact us by:

Emailing: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Telephone: 0115 907 2244 (provide contact details and we will call you back).



Citizen’s Advice Bureau can provide free, confidential, independent and impartial advice on work and benefits (including universal credit), housing, employment, debt and money advice, consumer care issues, energy efficiency, law and court advice, families and relationships.

Telephone advice line: 0300 456 8390
National website                               
Local website                                  



Measures announced over recent weeks to tackle coronavirus (COVID-19) have seen people’s day-to-day lives drastically altered. These changes are essential to beat coronavirus and protect our NHS.

However, with these increased measures, as families and couples are spending more time together than ever before, and it is likely that there will be a rise in the number of domestic abuse cases.

For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, it is important to remember that there is help and support available to you, including police response, online support, helplines, refuges and other services. You are not alone.

If you want to talk to someone about your situation, try to find a private place to contact any of the services listed below. They will be able to help you.

We can all do our bit to help. We are urging residents to look and listen for the signs of domestic abuse, whether that be a neighbour, friend or family member, and report it to the police as soon as possible. If you are concerned about someone, as you would with the elderly or vulnerable during the coronavirus pandemic, continue to check in with any individuals with regular phone calls (or texts or social media, if this is more private).

The government acknowledges that the order to stay at home can cause anxiety for those who are experiencing or feel at risk of domestic abuse. There is never an excuse for domestic abuse, no matter what the circumstances are. The Government has made it clear that:

The household isolation instruction as a result of coronavirus does not apply if you need to leave your home to escape domestic abuse.


Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Support Line

The single point of contact to get the help you need from someone close by:

Telephone: 08000 198 668
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Deaf or hearing impaired: Text 07534 617252

In an emergency: Call 999

Emergency SMS: text 999

Derbyshire Police

Facebook – send us a private message to /DerbyshireConstabulary
Twitter – direct message our contact centre on @DerPolContact
Website – complete the online contact form.



National Domestic- Violence 24-hour help line

Telephone: 0808 2000 247

Government Guidance on how to get help if you are experiencing domestic abuse.


If you’re a child or young person and domestic abuse is happening in your home or relationship, then call Childline

Telephone: 0800 1111.


If you are worried about a child, contact the NSPCC

Telephone: 0808 800 5000

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Men's Advice Line:

Telephone: 0808 801 0327.

National LBGT+ Helpline:

Telephone: 0800 999 5428

Silent Solution

If you ring 999 from a mobile but it is not safe for you to speak, Silent Solution is a system the police use to assess and respond to your call. 

  • Ring 999 and if it is not safe, DON’T respond to the BT operator when they ask what service you want but Stay connected
  • Whilst you are silent, if the operator hears any suspicious noise you will be transferred to the police.
  • If nothing is heard you may be asked to press 55, this will connect you to a police call handler
  • Listen carefully to their questions and instructions so that they can assess your situation and arrange for assistance.
  • This system means that the police can respond to genuine emergencies when people are in danger, and accidental or hoax 999 calls do not distract them.
  • Accidental 999 calls from a landline are less likely so if you call 999 from a landline but are unable to speak you will be connected without being asked to enter 55.

Respect – Support for anyone feeling they are hurting others

If you are worried about hurting the ones you love, or struggling to manage your emotions or behaviour during this difficult time, please seek help and advice by contacting Respect:

Telephone: 0808 802 4040
Email:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Drug and Alcohol Support

Derbyshire Recovery Partnership is a number of organisations across Derbyshire working together to provide drug and alcohol support. They offer a wide range of services including family support, recovery support, substance misuse counselling, employment support for those using their services, and services to keep people safe including needle exchanges and sexual health.

Telephone:0845 308 4010 / 0124 620 6514
Email:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Hate Crime

A hate crime is when someone commits a crime against you because of your disability, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, religion, or any other perceived difference.

It doesn’t always include physical violence. Someone using offensive language towards you or harassing you because of who you are, or who they think you are, is also a crime. The same goes for someone posting abusive or offensive messages about you online.

If you are a victim of hate crime, or if you have witnessed one, you can report it through to Stop Hate UK – an independent and confidential charity who work alongside a number of organisations such as the police in order to challenge all forms of hate crime and discrimination.

Stop Hate Helpline: 0800 138 1625
Text: 0771 798 9025

Stop LGB&T Hate: 0808 801 0661
Stop Transgender Hate: 0808 801 0661
Stop Learning Disability Hate: 0808 802 1155
Stop Hate Crime Against Young People: 0808 801 0576

Loan Sharks and Illegal Lenders

A Loan Shark is a moneylender who charges extremely high rates of interest, typically under illegal conditions. The cash loan often comes with threats, no paperwork and many demands.

Stop Loan Sharks are the only government agency in the UK who have the power to investigate and prosecute loan sharks and illegal money lenders. They will support anyone reporting a Loan Shark every step of the way, and investigate the illegal lender with a view to taking them to court. They can also put you in contact with legal lenders, to help you out of the money worries you have.

Telephone: 0300 555 2222 (24/7)

Check to see if your lender is legal

The Financial Conduct Authority has information on all people or businesses that legally lend you money in the UK. Search their database to see if your lender is legal.

Locally, Erewash Credit Union (known as Derbyshire Community Bank) are an organisation offering responsible banking options to local people and are able to offer bank accounts, loans and saving options.

Telephone:                                               01332 348144    
Email:                                                       This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Mental Health

Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust has launched a new telephone-based support line for local people of all ages and their carers who are experiencing increased distress or anxiety during the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

The new service also intends to support people who are experiencing a reduction in their usual mental health care services, as a result of changes that have been made to support the pandemic.

The support line, which will initially be available between the hours of 9am – midnight every day of the week can be contacted on 0300 790 0596.

For more information about the support line and wider information about our services at this time, please visit the Trust’s website.

There is also a wealth of information on Derbyshire County Council’s website on mental health and wellbeing support available to people in Derbyshire.

There are also a number of Apps that are available for young people and adults to download from your App store which are supported by the NHS, most of which are free. These can help you with any mental health issues you may have or anything that you might be struggling with at the moment. There is a list of them on the NHS website, but we have also included a few of them below:

Calm Harm

Calm Harm is a FREE App that provides tasks to help you resist or manage the urge to self-harm. You can make it private by setting a password, and personalise the app if you so wish. You will be able to track your progress and notice change.


The FREE MeeTwo app provides a safe and secure forum for teenagers wanting to discuss any issue affecting their lives.
You can anonymously get advice from experts or other teenagers going through similar experiences in areas such as mental health, self-harming, relationships and friendships.

Blue Ice

BlueIce is a FREE evidenced-based app to help young people manage their emotions and reduce urges to self-harm.
It includes a mood diary, a toolbox of evidence-based techniques to reduce distress and automatic routing to emergency numbers if urges to harm continue.


Thrive is a FREE app that helps you prevent and manage stress, anxiety and related conditions. The game based app can be used to relax before a stressful situation or on a more regular basis to help you live a happier, more stress-free life.

Young People

Kooth website - Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people

Young Minds - Resources and advice about emotional wellbeing for young people

Qwell website - Online counselling and well-being for adults and carers of young people

Papyrus website - confidential advice to young people struggling with thoughts of suicide

Vita Minds

Vita Minds is a new NHS provider within the Improving Access to Psychological Services (IAPT) commissioned by Derby and Derbyshire CCG. The service is now live and offers a range of talking therapies for depression, generalised anxiety disorder and mixed depression. People can refer themselves directly to the service by calling 0333 0153496 or visiting the web site and using the self-referral form. In current circumstances treatment will be delivered remotely to those patients that need support. 

With regard to IAPT services – please see the link to the Derby and Derbyshire CCG website for full information about the other IAPT providers. Please note that Talking Mental Health Derbyshire are not taking any new referrals at present. Vita is not yet included on the list of providers.

Patients aged 16 or over and who are registered with a Derbyshire GP practice can choose from any of these IAPT services.

Modern Slavery

Modern Slavery is an umbrella term used to describe:

• Offences of human trafficking, slavery, forced labour and domestic servitude.
• Slavery-like practices such as debt bondage, sale or exploitation of children and forced or servile marriage.

While varied in nature, all involve one person depriving another person of their liberty, in order to exploit them for personal or commercial gain.

• It is NOT ‘people smuggling’
• Victims are not consenting and are subject to continual exploitation on arrival.
• It covers not only the trafficking of individuals from foreign countries in or out of the UK, but also covers individuals who have been trafficked domestically – be they of foreign nationality or UK citizens.

People who may be a victim of modern slavery or exploitation may:

• Show fear or anxiety
• Suffer injuries that appear to be the result of an assault
• Be distrustful of authorities and afraid to disclose their immigration status
• Be unfamiliar with local language or context
• Allow others to speak for them when addressed directly
• Be in a situation of dependence
• Believe they must work against their will
• Not be in possession of their passports or other travel / identity documents
• Not know their home or work address
• Not have any days off
• Be unable to leave their work environment
• Have limited or no social interaction


Emergency situations:
If the potential victim is at immediate risk and in danger call the police - 999.

Make it clear this is a case of Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.

Non-emergency situations:
Call Derbyshire County Council’s Safeguarding Adults Team on 01629 533190.

Make it clear this is a case of Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.

Online Safety

The internet and social media have come into their own during the period of community lockdown and have allowed us to stay in contact with friends and loved ones. However, it is important that we stay safe whilst using these platforms.

There is a lot of general online safety information on Safer Derbyshire on how to keep everyone safe including the Digital MOT service, designed to provide you with personalised information on what else to do with your devices / systems / apps to keep yourself safe.

Parents and Carers: keeping children safe online

The Think U Know site from the National Crime Agency’s Child Exploitation and Online Protection Team are producing activity packs for parents to complete with their children to support them in keeping safe at a time when they will be spending more time online.

Their support tools section also contains lots of useful information and activities for parents for children aged 4-18yrs, and those with additional needs and different family types.

Online Fraud and scams

There has been a rise in coronavirus related fraud and scams, which can leave you vulnerable to computer viruses and malicious software, as well as potentially out of pocket. Please be vigilant and take extra care when opening emails or shopping online: 

  • never click on links, or open attachments in e-mails from senders you don’t know
  •  if you’re not sure whether a message is genuine, always double check by going to a trusted website and typing the address yourself. You will find all government announcements and information about coronavirus at and the National Health Service website.
  •  be wary of fake websites selling protective face masks, hand sanitiser etc. Remember – if it sounds too good to be true, there’s a good chance it is a scam

More detailed information is available from Derbyshire County Council Trading Standards and Derbyshire Police.

If you are or think you are a victim of cybercrime or online fraud and scams, report it to Action Fraud

Telephone: 0300 123 2040.

East Midlands Special Operations Unit (EMSOU) are also providing regular updates on how you can stay safe throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. You can view these messages all of these updates on the Safer Derbyshire website and scrolling down to the bottom of the page.


Unfortunately, whilst rare, there are negative influencers and online groomers who use the internet, social media and online gaming to spread their ideas, which children can be exposed to. Some of these ideas may be considered radical or extreme and when a person starts to support or be involved in them, this is called radicalisation.

ACT Early website provides information and support to parents and guardians regarding the threat from online radicalisation. 



Derbyshire County Council’s Trading Standard’s officers are urging people to be wary of possible new coronavirus-related scams being used by doorstep or phone callers:

  • Anyone offering to carry out a coronavirus test at your home or sell you a self-testing kit is bogus. Neither the police nor the National Health Service are offering such a service
  • Companies that offer to clean your drives and doorways to kill bacteria and help prevent the spread of the virus are also bogus
  • Don’t hand over cash or bank cards to strangers offering to do your shopping or other errands so that you can stay at home. You may not see them again
  • Only answer the door to people you trust
  • Make sure doors and windows are locked, even when you’re home
  • If someone visits and claims to be from a utility service, the health service or similar, ask to see their identification. Ask them to wait while you close the door, call their employer and check their credentials. If they’re a genuine caller, they won’t mind
  • Some people are putting notices in their windows asking for help which may make them vulnerable. It’s better to use trusted channels of support.
  • Remember your bank will never call and ask you for your personal identification number or to transfer money from your account to another. If you receive such a call, hang up. 


Sexual Abuse and Violence

Support is available for those who have or are experiencing sexual abuse:


a Derbyshire Charity commissioned to provide support, therapy and counselling services to victims of sexual abuse or violence. Contact them on:

Telephone advice line:01773 746 115

Sail Derbyshire

A Derbyshire support organisation for victims of sexual abuse or violence. Contact them on:

Telephone advice line:0800 028 2678


Counter terrorism and extremism

The current threat from terrorism and other violent extremism requires us all to look out for activity or behaviour which strikes us as out of place in normal day to day life and to report it to the police. We want to encourage local communities to trust their instincts and look out for anything unusual to help us to continue to keep the public safe.

Don't rely on others. If you suspect it, report it. You need to let the police decide if the information is important. What might seem insignificant on its own, could actually provide a vital link to a wider investigation.

Further information can be found on the Safer Derbyshire site. Concerns can be reported to:

Derbyshire Police telephone: 101

Confidential anti-terrorist hotline: 0800 789 321.