Employing a Builder

It is usual for a person intending to carry out work to appoint an architect or surveyor - they will draw the necessary plans up for you and submit an application on your behalf.

Often the plans drawn for planning permission are suitable for building regulations approval with the technical detail added.

Sometimes an application for planning permission is submitted first to make sure the design is acceptable in the location, before the more detailed plans for building regulation approval are submitted.

Appointing a builder

The choice of a builder is often difficult particularly if you are new to Erewash. A source for builders may be found through the yellow pages, but more often than not through word of mouth.

A builder may have recognised membership for example of the federation of master builders or other form of recognised registration.

Before you appoint a builder ask for details of other work that they have carried out in the area and if possible talk to the property owner to obtain their opinion.

Trading standards may be able to advise you if they have received any complaints about a particular builder.

Information on other websites

Derbyshire Trusted Trader