Planning Permission

Since Permitted Development rights were introduced you can now perform certain types of works without having to apply for planning permission. However, if you are proposing an extension or alteration to your property or a large scale commercial project it is best to discuss your proposal before any works begin with one of our planning team. You can also find out if planning permission is required via the below methods:

  • The Planning Portal offers a wide range of services and interactive guidance to help you understand what you need to consider at each stage of your project
  • If you are planning work that you believe falls under the limits of permitted development but would like confirmation of this you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. The form required for this is form 1APP 15. We will also require plans and the fee of £103.
  • Contact our Planning Support Team via the methods detailed on the main page and your enquiry will be allocated to a Planning Officer

Please be aware that the work may also require building regulations and you are advised to check with the Building Control team

Dropped Kerbs

Vehicle Crossovers are sections of pavement with a lowered kerb connecting a private driveway to the highway. The installation of crossovers is paid for by residents but all are maintained by Derbyshire County Council who are responsible for maintaining all roads within the Borough of Erewash. They provide a designated area for homeowners to drive their cars legally over the footway to reach their driveway.

If the property at which you would like to create a vehicular access is on a classified road, you will need planning permission from Erewash Borough Council. If the property is on a non-classified road, you will not need planning from Erewash Borough Council.

Regardless of whether or not you need permission from Erewash Borough Council (for the creation of a vehicular access) you will need to contact Derbyshire County Council to arrange for an approved contractor to carry out the work to drop the kerb.

More information can be found on Derbyshire County Council's dropped Kerbs page.

If planning permission is required you will need to complete the householder application form 1APP 01.

If planning permission is not required but the County Council have asked for written confirmation of whether planning permission is required or not, please apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness (1APP 15).

Please note: Derbyshire County Council provide all information regarding classified/non-classified roads. If, after following the guidance below you are still unsure as to whether the road in question is classified/non-classified, Derbyshire County Council will be able to confirm this for you.

To find out whether the property is on a classified road:

  • Check the Derbyshire Mapping Portal (external link)
  • Using the search facility bring up the property on the map
  • Expand the layer manager in the top right corner of the screen
  • Tick the box next to 'Adopted Highways'
  • The map should then update and there will be pink lines on the roads
  • Click on the pink line of the road in question - information about whether or not the road is classified will appear in the left hand menu.