Privacy Notice

Data Controller: Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP

Data Protection Officer - Head of Law and Governance.
Erewash Borough Council, Ilkeston Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston
Derbyshire, DE7 5RP email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Call 0115 9072244

The Council is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses the data it collects and to meeting its data protection obligations.

As a person applying for housing assistance you have rights and responsibilities.

The Council has rights and responsibilities too.  The information below describes all the rules.  We have these rules to make sure you have the best possible customer experience and receive advice and assistance that is appropriate and suitable for you and your household.

You can ask the officer for clarification if you are in any way unsure of the declaration you are asked to make at the end of the form or the detail for the enquiries you are being asked to consent to.

What information does the council collect?

In order to assist you we need to collect certain information about you and others in your household including:

Your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth, national insurance numbers, Photographic or other ID.

Current and former addresses.

Employment information, employer contact information and salary, including bank statements and/or pay slips,

Any other income details, such as tax credits and child benefit; either in the form of benefit award letters or bank statements;

Any relevant medical information

Convictions, proceedings and offending history

Customer demographic data (religion or belief, ethnicity, transgender, sexuality);

The type and extent of any the information required depends on your circumstances.

Why does the council process personal data?

The Council needs to process your personal data in order to determine what duty we may owe to you under Part 7 of the Housing Act as amended. To do this we may need to make enquiries to any relevant person, agencies, statutory and non-statutory bodies both now and in the future for the purpose of:

  1. Helping to resolve your housing problem/s.
  2. Helping to resolve your problem/s which may mean you are at risk of becoming homeless.
  3. Assessing any application for housing including whether you are eligible for social housing and your housing needs.
  4. Assessing any possible application for homeless assistance under the Housing Act 1996 and any support needs which may be impacting on your housing situation (including your health, financial and employment needs).
  5. Assessing any possible duty under Section 17 of the Children Act where a decision might be reached on any application that a housing accommodation duty is not owed or has been owed but has come to an end, or if you are a single person any assessment under adult social care legislation.
  6. Helping to find accommodation with a private sector landlord or supported accommodation provider.
  7. Helping to resolve any problems that may occur during any tenancy that we obtain through your help with a private landlord.
  8. To protect the public funds administered by the Council for the prevention and detection of fraud.

Who has access to data?

Erewash Borough Council collects the information provided as part of this application for housing assistance to provide you with housing assistance and/or assess your support needs.  For this purpose relevant personal information may be disclosed to the Home Options Partnership, housing providers, support agencies and service providers.  That might be now, or in the future.   

Limited personal information may be used for housing related research, policy or planning functions. You have the option to opt into this.

How does the council protect data?

The council takes the security of your data seriously. It has internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper performance of their duties.

For how long does the council keep data?

Your personal information will be retained for 7 years or in accordance with our retention schedule. You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.

Your rights

As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:

  • Access and obtain a copy of your data on request
  • Require the council to change incorrect or incomplete data
  • Require the council to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purpose of processing; and
  • Object to the processing of your data where the council is relying on its legitimate interests as the legal ground for processing.

If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact the Council’s nominated Data Protection Officer, Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or telephone 0115 9072244.

If you believe that the council has not complied with your data protection rights, you can complain to the information Commissioner.

What if you do not provide personal data?

We need certain personal information in order to help you resolve your housing situation. The use of your personal information will help us determine our duty under Part 7 of the Housing Act as amended. You can withdraw your consent at any time by notifying us in writing. Failure to provide the personal information we need or withdrawing consent will mean that we cannot process your homeless application.

Automated decision-making

The Housing Options service is not based on automated decision-making.

Concerns about the use of personal data or its accuracy

If you have concerns about the use of your personal data by Erewash Borough Council or its accuracy, you may contact us at the address above.

For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Call 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number. Alternatively, visit the ICO website or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.