Privacy Notice

Data Controller: Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP

Data Protection Officer: Rachel Fernandez, Performance and Community Manager, Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP. Call 0115 9072244

The Council is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses the data it collects and meets its data protection obligations.

The Environmental Health Service collects a range of data from residents, commercial premises and other agencies to enable us to perform our statutory functions, for example: the investigation of statutory nuisance, inspection of a food premises or investigation of a food poisoning.

What information does Environmental Health collect?

The Environmental Health Service collects a range of information about you. This includes:

  • Your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone number,
  • Details of alleged offenders which are the subject of the complaint to provide information for us to begin our investigations,
  • Information on food poisoning to enable us to carry out investigations into possible outbreaks or sources of infection,
  • Details of injury sustained from an accident in a premises in the Borough to enable us to investigate,
  • Details of food business operators and food handlers or other employees in a business that we inspect for compliance with relevant legislation,
  • Information on forms submitted to obtain a licence or registration issued by Environmental Health.

The Environmental Health Service may collect this information in a variety of ways, for example:

  • Details given when a request for service is made by an individual either by telephone or email,
  • Completion of a pro-forma during an inspection,
  • Information required on a registration or licensing form application.

The Environmental Health Service may also collect or receive personal data about you from third parties for example:

  • Information passed to us another agency who have the duty to collect data but require input by us to carry out an investigation e.g. accident reports to the central reporting database and notifications of infectious diseases to Public Health England,
  • Information to or from other services in the council such as Housing, Legal, Licencing, Waste, Community Safety, Neighbourhood Wardens Planning, Council Tax, Benefits, Land Charges. For example the registered council tax payer at a property will help us with our investigations in establishing owner/ occupiers at a premises,
  • Information to or from other agencies such Food Standards Agency, Health and Safety Executive, Public Health England, Police, Fire and Rescue services, UK Border Agency, other Derbyshire local authorities, Ofsted,

Data will be stored in a range of different places which include:

  • Specialist database used by a range of council service such as Planning, Licencing, Housing and Land Charges,
  • Hard copy premises files,
  • Electronic copies of letters held on a server.

Why does the council process personal data?

The council needs to process data to take reasonable steps at your request to enter into a contract with you. It may also need to process your data to deliver a service you have requested.

In some cases, the council needs to process data to ensure that it is complying with its legal obligations.

Who has access to data?

The Environmental Health Service shares data with a range of council’s services such as Housing, Legal, Licencing, Waste, Community Safety, Neighbourhood Wardens, Planning, Council Tax, Benefits, Land Charges.

The Environmental Health Service also shares data with a number of external agencies. Data will be provided on request and will be specific to an issue or concern being investigated either for the purposes of detecting a crime or for public protection.  Agencies include:-

  • Food Standards Agency
  • Health and Safety Executive
  • Other local authorities via Primary, Home or Lead Authority schemes
  • Derbyshire County Council
  • Public Health England
  • Fire and Rescue Services
  • Police
  • Ofsted Early Years
  • Care Quality Commission
  • UK Border Agency
  • Severn Trent Water Authority
  • Drinking Water Inspectorate

The council will not transfer your data outside the European Economic Area.

How does the council protect data?

The council takes the security of your data seriously. It has internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper performance of their duties.

For how long does Environmental Health keep data?

The Environmental Health Service has a service specific retention and disposal policy which details how long data within the control of the service will be held for under relevant legislation or guidance. This is available on our website or on request by contacting Environmental health on 0115 907 2244 extension 3820 or emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Your rights

As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:

  • Access and obtain a copy of your data on request
  • Require the council to change incorrect or incomplete data
  • Require the council to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purpose of processing; and
  • Object to the processing of your data where the council is relying on its legitimate interests as the legal ground for processing.

If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact the Council’s nominated Data Protection Officer, Rachel Fernandez, performance and community Manager. Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP. Call 0115 9072244.

If you believe that the council has not complied with your data protection rights, you can complain to the information Commissioner.

What if you do not provide personal data?

You are not under a statutory or contractual obligation to provide the data to the council for the investigation of complaints made to the Service except for the investigation of a potential statutory nuisance.  However, if you do not provide the information, the council may not be able to investigate your concerns properly or at all. In the case of a potential statutory nuisance due to the requirements of the legislation the council is unable to investigate anonymous complaints.

The Council’s Environmental Health Service has a statutory obligation to process your data under a range of legislation. Details of relevant legislation can be found in the Council’s Constitution Part 8-Scheme of delegation.

Automated decision-making

The Environmental Health Service is not based on automated decision-making.