Re-use of public sector information

The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations allow people to apply to re-use information held by us. We are not under any automatic obligation to allow re-use of information but if we do allow re-use of any of our public sector information, this has to be done in accordance with the regulations.

Re-use means using the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which the document was originally produced.

Examples of public sector information are national and local legislation, statistics, local planning, tourist information, and guidance on local community issues and policies etc.

To comply with PSI legislation we have a duty to:

  • Respond to all PSI requests within 20 working days. This period may be extended where the request is extensive or complex.
  • Offer appropriate advice and guidance, where necessary.
  • Grant licences for re-use of public sector information where applicable
  • Levy fees where there is reasonable justification to cover the costs of producing and supplying the data.

The focus of Freedom of Information is on access to information, whereas the PSI Regulations refer to its re-use.

Receiving information under Freedom of Information and other information access regimes does not give you an automatic right to re-use the information and you must make a distinct request to re-use it.

The new directive does not provide access to the information itself. That is available through the Freedom of Information Act 2000, Data Protection Act 2018 or other access to information regimes such as the Environmental Information Regulations 2004

To be valid a request must:

  • be in writing, which includes email
  • state your name and address
  • specify the document which you want to re-use
  • state the purpose for which the document is to be re-used

This applies only if you want to re-use information held by us, otherwise requests for access to information should be handled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 .

An applicant must have obtained the information under any access request before he/she can have an application to make a re-use considered.

A request for access and re-use may be combined.

How to request access

There is no prescribed form but your request can be made by applying in writing to:

Performance and Information Security Officer
Erewash Borough Council
Town Hall 
Wharncliffe Road 

email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.