Births, Marriages and Deaths

Registering a Birth

A birth must be registered in the district in which the birth occurs. If a birth occurred in another district, a declaration can be attested at any register office and forwarded on. 

This is a service provided by Derbyshire County Council, though the Registrar has an office in the Town Hall at Long Eaton and operates on an appointments system. Please telephone to arrange an appointment before visiting the office.

To make an appointment to register a birth please contact the relevant register office. see Derbyshire County Council's list of register offices

The registration will take about 15 to 20 minutes, and must be completed within 42 days of the birth.

Civil Naming Ceremony

A naming ceremony is a very special way of celebrating the birth of your child and welcoming the new arrival into the family.

It is an opportunity to declare, before family and friends, your promise to be a good parent.  Adult friends and relatives may pledge their special relationship with your child. 

It is a unique occasion for everyone to feel involved and to offer their support in your child's future development.


The Registration Service in Derbyshire is overseen by Derbyshire County Council.

Civil Partnerships

Same-sex couples are able to register their partnership under the Civil Partnership Act.

Replacement certificates

If you know that a birth, marriage or death occurred in a particular Registration District you can contact the register office, either for a certificate if you have precise details, or for an appointment to conduct a search of the indices, for up to six hours on any one day. It may take a few days to arrange a search owing to limited accommodation.

Who can register a death?

The following persons have a legal obligation to register a death (listed in order of preference): 

  • A relative of the deceased

  • A person present at the death  

  • A person arranging the funeral (not a funeral director but the person instructing them).

In certain circumstances other people, such as the senior administrator at a residential home, may be allowed to register a death. Please follow the links below for further advice.