Temporary road closures for events

If you are considering closing a road for an organised event, such as a street party, gala or parade, you will need to apply for permission and there may be a charge for the administration and production of the legal notice from £50.00 to £150.00.

All road closures are determined on a case-by-case basis so please seek advice from Democratic Services, preferably via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Please provide a brief outline of your event, the timings plus the road you intend to close and how the event is being organised for example is it a small, local event run by volunteers or a larger sponsored event such as a marathon and we will then be able to advise you of the charge which will need to be paid on application. Alternatively, telephone 0115 907 1154.

When applying to close a road, please be aware:

  • there will be a charge for administering the road closure which will need to be paid on receipt of the application;
  • you must provide 8 weeks’ notice to allow us time to process your application and carry out our internal consultation. Failure to do so could result in the council refusing your application;
  • you must notify all neighbours who will be affected by the closure before applying;
  • as organiser, you must arrange for ‘road closed’ and ‘diversion’ signs if they are deemed to be required; and
  • display the formal temporary closure notices (which will be provided) seven days before the event and remove them afterwards.

Also, depending upon the type of event you wish you hold, you may have to provide proof of public liability insurance and risk assessments undertaken. Advice will be given if this applies to you.

All road closure applications are subject to consultation with Derbyshire County Council and Derbyshire Constabulary.

Related links

Below are links to other websites which you may find useful:

Street Party
The Big Lunch
Gov.uk street party guide