Personal Licence

A personal Licence allows the holder to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol in a venue or property which has a premises licence. The Personal Licence is separate from the Premises Licence which authorises the premises to be used for the supply of alcohol and other licensable activities.

Personal licences are issued by the Local Authority where a person is normally resident and renewed by the same authority irrespective of where the licence holder is resident at the time of renewal. You may only hold one Personal Licence at any time, which will be valid for the whole of your lifetime, but may be revoked if you are convicted of a relevant criminal offence, have to pay an immigration penalty, or are found to have given incorrect or misleading information in your application.

You must have the legal right to work in the UK in order to hold a Personal Licence, proof of which will be required with the application. Licences will also lapse automatically if your right to work in the UK expires or comes to an end.

Personal licences are not tied to a specific premises, meaning holders of such licences can authorise sales of alcohol in all venues which have a premises licence, throughout England and Wales. This allows for greater flexibility for personal licence holders, and permits the movement of individuals from one premises to another.

The Licensing Act 2003 also states that if a Premises Licence includes the sale or supply of alcohol, a Designated Premises Supervisor must be named on the Premises Licence who will be responsible for the day to day running of the premises. The Designated Premises Supervisor must be a Personal Licence holder. It will not be necessary for all staff selling alcohol to hold a Personal Licence.

The Personal Licence relates only to the supply of alcohol under a Premises Licence. An individual does not require a Personal Licence for other licensable activities such as the provision of regulated entertainment or late night refreshment, or for the supply of alcohol under a club premises certificate.

In the case of Temporary Event Notices, Personal Licence holders will be able to give 50 Temporary Event Notices each year, whereas there will be a limit of five for non-Personal Licence holders.

Application forms can be found at

Please be aware that you cannot currently apply for a Personal Licence online.

Eligibility Criteria

Requirements for a new application for a Personal Licence:

  • Over the age of 18.

  • Hold Licensing Qualification that has been accredited by the Secretary of State. The aim of this provision is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol. See list of accredited qualifications in the guidance notes to Personal Licences.

  • A completed Application Form for a Personal Licence.

  • A completed Disclosure of Current Convictions and Civil Immigration penalties declaration.

  • You must have the legal right to work in the UK (see notes at back of application form).

  • You must submit evidence of your right to work in the UK with your application.

  • Obtain a Basic Disclosure certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service (this is a criminal records check). Most basic checks will be processed within 14 days, and a basic check will cost £25. This certificate is only valid for one calendar month so please ensure that you submit it to the council with your application and other required documents within this time frame or you may be asked to apply for a new check. Details of the online service can be found on the Government website: Disclosure & Barring Service - Basic Check.

  • Two photographs, one of which must be endorsed.

  • Fee - £37 for a Personal Licence application payable to Erewash Borough Council.

Applications may be posted to the Licensing Section or sent by email.

Renewal of Personal Licence not required 

The Deregulation Bill received Royal assent on 26 March 2015 and was passed on 1 April 2015, becoming the Deregulation Act 2014. In simple terms this means that you are no longer required to renew your personal licence after the 10 year expiry date as was previously the case. The licence will remain valid with no expiry date

Please note that you are still required to let us know if you change your name or address so we can update your licence, otherwise you are not required to take any further action. If your details have changed you will need to contact the Licensing Section and pay the prescribed fee of £10.50.

Personal licence holders also have a duty to notify the relevant licensing authority if they have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence. (This is a requirement under s.123 Licensing Act 2003. Relevant offences are listed in Schedule 4 to the Licensing Act 2003).

Regulation Summary

Further Information

For further information regarding Personal Licences please contact the Licensing Department using the details below:

Licensing Office
Erewash Borough Council
Civic Centre
Derby Road
Long Eaton
NG10 1HU

Call: 0115 9071110

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.