Premises Licences

To sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment and late-night refreshments, you need a licence from the local authority if you are in England and Wales.

Applicants for a premises licence will need to be aware of the council's Statement of Licensing Policy.

Apply Online:

Eligibility Criteria

Any of the following may apply for a Premises Licence:

  • anyone who uses carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates

  • a recognised club

  • a charity

  • a health service body

  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital

  • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales

  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative

  • a person from an educational institute

  • any other permitted person.

Individuals resident in the UK are not able to apply for a premises licence, unless the individual is entitled to work in the United Kingdom. Proof of the right of work must be included with the application (see notes at the end of the application form).

Also the Home Office (Immigration enforcement) will become a Responsible Authority within the definition of the Licensing Act 2003 where the premises proposes to sell alcohol or provide late night refreshment. This will allow the Immigration Service to make representations against the grant or variation of a premises licence.

See the Council's Guidance for the application of a Premises Licence for assistance in submitting your application.

If you are applying to sell alcohol you will also need a Personal Licence holder to authorise the supply or retail of alcohol, in line with your application for a Premises Licence. This individual will be nominated to be the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for your Premises Licence application. A Designated Premises Supervisor must therefore hold a Personal Licence.

Applicants must be over 18 years of age.

Regulation Summary

Licensing Fees

Go to our Fees and Charges page.

Application Evaluation Process

Applications must be sent to the licensing authority for the area where the premises are located.

Applications must be made on the required format and be accompanied by the required fee, an operating schedule, a plan of the premises and Designated Premises Supervisor Consent Form for the Designated Premises Supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol has been requested).

An operating schedule will include details of:

  • the licensable activities
  • the times when the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public
  • in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for
  • information in respect of the premises supervisor
  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both
  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other required information

Please see the Home Office website for good practice guidance for meeting the requirements of the four licensing objectives.

The four licensing objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm   

Applicants are required to advertise their applications by way of a public notice and by placing a notice in a local newspaper. They are also required to give notice of the application to the other Responsible Authorities by copying the application and submitting it to them, along with a plan of the premises.

The licensing authority must grant the application, which can be subject to conditions, if there are no representations or objections made. A licensing hearing must be held if any relevant representations are received in respect of the application, and they are deemed not frivolous or vexatious. If a licensing hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions. Licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

For a list of current applications received by the Council, or for more information on objecting to an application, please go to our Current applications page.

The licensing authority must then serve a notice of the hearing decision on the applicant, and any  individual or responsible authority that has made a relevant representation. 

Applications can also be made to:

A hearing may also have to be convened if relevant representations are received.

Other applications that can be made include an application for an Interim authority following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder. This is to prevent the lapsing of a premises licence due to unforeseen circumstances. 

A application for a Provisional Statement may also be submitted. This is used for premises which are intended to become licensed, but which have not yet been built or converted. Once a Provisional Statement has been granted (provided the premises are completed in accordance with the Statement), the scope for objections to the subsequent Premises Licence application is limited to the differences in the operating schedule.

To submit an application to review a premises licence, please go to Problem Premises.

Other licensing forms and guidance can be found  on the application forms page.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

If an application for a licence is refused the failed applicant can appeal.

Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

If an application is made by the chief police officer, as detailed below, and interim steps are taken by the licensing authority you may make representations. A hearing must be held within 48 hours of your representations.

A licence holder may appeal against any conditions attached to a licence, a decision to reject a variation application, a decision to reject a transfer application or a decision to exclude an activity or person as premises supervisor.

Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Consumer Complaint

Any person affected or a Responsible Authority may apply to the licensing authority to review the premises licence. A hearing will be then be held by the licensing authority if the representation is deemed relevant.

Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Other Redress

The chief police officer for the police area where the premises are located can apply to the licensing authority for a review of the licence if the premises are licensed to sell alcohol by retail and a senior officer has given a certificate that they are of the opinion that the premises are associated with either serious crime or disorder or both. A hearing will be held and the licence holder and other interested parties may make representations.

A chief police officer can give a notice to the licensing authority if they believe that the transfer of a premises licence to another person or business, or if the Designate Premises Supervisor is changed at a premises, could undermine crime prevention objectives. Such a notice must be given within 14 days of receiving notification of the application.

Any person who feels they are affected by a premises licence application,or responsible authority, may make representations in relation to the licence application or request the licensing body to review a licence. A Hearing involving a committee of Councillors will then be held by the licensing authority.

A chief police officer may make representations to the licensing authority for a review of the licence if the premises are licensed to sell alcohol by retail and a senior member of the force has given a certificate to state that in their opinion the premises are associated with serious crime, disorder or both.

Any person or responsible authority who made relevant representations may appeal against the granting of a licence by the licensing authority.

Appeals are to be made to the Magistrates Court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Trade Association websites

Further Information

For further information regarding making an application for a premises licence please contact us using the details below.

Licensing Office
Erewash Borough Council
Civic Centre
Derby Road
Long Eaton
NG10 1HU

Call: 0115 9071110
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.