Moving on From Supported Housing

Moving on from supported accommodation to independent living can be a difficult time in terms of having the skills to live alone and finding the right place to live.

Move-on Protocol

The Move-on Plans Protocol (MOPP) gives people in some supported accommodation priority for social housing.

Support workers who are helping people staying in supported accommodation supply housing providers with detailed information about the person's ability to maintain a tenancy. This enables the housing providers to make informed decisions about the suitability of an offer of a tenancy.

The protocol is now used countywide.

You can find out if the accommodation you are living in is signed up to the Move On protocol by asking your support worker. Even if the scheme is not a part of the protocol your support worker can still help you move into independent living.

Are you ready to move on?

When you move into your supported accommodation you will be asked to complete a Home Options application form and a MOPP1 form with your support worker. At this point you will begin to accrue waiting time on Home Options: however, you will be unable to bid for properties.

Once you have completed a successful period in supported accommodation and both you and your support worker feel that you are ready for independent living you will complete a form with your support worker that demonstrates that you are ready to move on. Once this has been received your application will usually be set to live.

It is very important that if you have rent arrears from a previous tenancy that you begin to make an effort to repay these arrears whilst you are in the supported accommodation as failure to do this may result in you being excluded from Home Options. If you need help to do this you should speak with your support worker.