Pest Control

We do not provide a pest control treatment service. However the Council has legal powers to require owners and/or occupiers to treat for public health pests such as rats, mice in the home, cockroaches, fleas, bedbugs,flies. More detail is given in the 'Pests and the Law' section below.

Householders If you have a pest problem we strongly recommend that you use a pest control professional to deal with the problem. Some information on treating pests yourself is given below.

Private sector tenants - If you are renting in the private sector and you are concerned about pests you should contact your landlord.


  • For any business with a pest problem we strongly advise that you use a pest control professional as additional legal requirements will apply.
  • If you are from a food business with a pest problem you should contact the Food Health and Safety Team for advice on 0115 907 2244 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Finding a pest control professional

Pest controllers are listed in telephone directories or by an online search. The British Pest Control Association or National Pest Technicians Association can help you find a pest controller (one which follows their code of conduct). You can also find pest controllers via the Derbyshire County Council Trusted Trader website

When looking for a pest controller, make sure you:

  • get at least three quotations

  • find out if there is a call out fee or fixed charge

  • find out what service and guarantee they will provide

  • ensure they have insurance cover

  • check their qualifications (a certificate in Pest Control from the Royal Society for Public Health or the The British Pest Control Association)

  • consider personal recommendations from friends, neighbours.

If bait is used your pest controller will need to visit a few times to inspect the bait and keep it topped up. They should also carry out a final inspection once the programme is complete to ensure no bait is left behind.

If rodenticides are used, your pest controller should carry out an environmental assessment to consider the possible threats to wildlife and domestic animals.

Householders - treating pests yourself

We do not advise treating pests yourself. You are strongly advised to use a professional pest controller, see ‘Finding a pest control professional’ above. 

If you choose to treat the problem yourself the British Pest Control Association provides an A to Z of pests with advice on how to deal with each pest (such as insects and mammals). 

Pesticides are poisons so please follow manufacturer's instructions and health and safety best practice at all times. When using these products you should:

  • Get the right product for the pest you are dealing with.

  • Ensure the product is laid in the correct manner and is not available to children, pets or other animals.

  • Avoid ingestion, inhalation or skin contact and keep children and animals away from sprayed areas or solid baits.

  • Do not use pesticides on food preparation surfaces or in food cupboards.

  • Pick up and dispose of any mice/rat bodies.

Pests and the Law

We enforce the provisions of three laws which impose duties on owners and/or occupiers of premises/land regarding pests. These are:

  • Public Health Act 1936 section 83 which gives local authorities the power to require the owner or occupier of a property to clean verminous premises. Vermin is not precisely defined but in practice is taken to mean rats, mice, fleas, cockroaches and bedbugs, but could include other insects in extreme cases.

  • Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 section 4 which gives local authorities the power to require the owner or occupier of land (but not agricultural land) to take steps for the destruction of rats or mice or keeping land free from rats and mice. The power extends to carrying out works in default and recovery of the costs incurred.

  • Environmental Protection Act 1990 section 80 extends the list of statutory nuisances to include “any insects emanating from relevant industrial trade or business premises and being prejudicial to health or a nuisance”.

For further information please visit: