Environmental Permitting

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 provide a single regulatory framework covering:

  •  Waste Management Licensing
  •  Pollution Prevention and Control
  •  Water Discharge Consenting
  •  Groundwater Authorisations, and
  •  Radioactive Substances Regulations

You can find detailed information on the Environment Agency website.

Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC) - Local authorities regulate some of the facilities covered by these regulations, mostly to control emissions to air but also some processes with the potential to cause air, water and land pollution. They also have limited responsibilities relating to waste exemptions. Examples of processes in this category include petrol filling stations, use of bulk cement, car resprayers and wood processors. Processes in this category are known as Part B processes. 

A list of permits issued by Erewash Borough Council is available from Environmental Health, Erewash Borough Council, Merlin House, Merlin Way, Ilkeston, DE7 4RA. These can also be requested by email.

Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC) - This category covers more complex processes with the potential to cause pollution of air, water and land.  In general these processes are also larger than Part B’s. Processes in this category under local authority control are called A2’s. Similar processes which are regulated by the Environment Agency are called A1’s.

Further advice

The regulations are very complex and if you believe you may need a permit it please contact us for further help or advice please telephone 0115 9072244.