Cost of Living

Watch a video of Leader of the council, Councillor James Dawson talking about the council's current financial situation and what will be done to support residents. Read the council's Cost of Living Action Plan.

Support for residents this winter

Applications are now open for voluntary, community and charity organisations to apply for a grant from Derbyshire County Council to open a Warm and Welcoming Space this winter.

It follows the success of a scheme last year which helped to fund more than 150 spaces supporting Derbyshire residents during the colder months. Between them, they provided 17,000 hours of warmth and company for almost 11,000 Derbyshire residents feeling lonely or struggling to heat their homes or feed themselves.

Organisations can now apply for up to £1,000 towards the cost of opening up new community venues or to extend their opening hours as the weather gets colder. The money can be used towards things like providing meals or light refreshments, the cost of energy bills or paying running costs to stay open for longer.

To qualify for a grant, organisations must pledge to offer a heated space during the winter months, provide seating, may offer refreshments such as a warm drink and a biscuit and be free of charge. People visiting warm spaces will also be offered information to help them with cost of living support, as well as advice on looking after their mental health and wellbeing.

Find out more about warm spaces and how to apply for a grant.

Find out what benefits you are entitled to

Turn2us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through partner organisations.

You can also use the benefits calculator on Turn2us to find out what you may be entitled to.

Help with your council tax

Council Tax Support is not always enough for you to be able to pay your Council Tax bill. If you have unusual or extreme circumstances which are causing hardship we may be able to help through the Council Tax Discretionary Fund. Find out more on the Council tax support page.

Cost of Living payments 2023 to 2024

Eligible households received a £301 Cost of Living payment. This is the first of three new payments totalling £900 in 2023/24, providing a financial boost to support the most vulnerable in society.

Guidance on getting extra payments to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits can be found at

Get help with the cost of energy efficiency

You might be able to get help with the cost of making your home more energy efficient if you either: own your home; rent from a private landlord.
For example, you might be able to apply for help with the cost of insulation, a heat pump, a new boiler or boiler repairs. This means you'll have to pay less to heat your home and it will stay warm for longer. Find out more on the Citizens Advice website.

Help and Advice

Are you worried about the rising cost of energy bills, food and transport? You are not alone; the cost of living crisis is affecting many of us. Whatever your money worries may be, we've put together some helpful information. You can find help on our debt advice page. There is also a Cost of living support factsheet on GOV.UK.

Advice on getting help with the cost of living is also available from Citizens Advice. The council works closely with Citizens Advice Derbyshire Districts.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Residents in Erewash can check if they are eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment. The scheme - funded by the Department for Work and Pension - offers assistance to those claiming Housing Benefit and those receiving the Housing Element within their Universal Credit award if it is demonstrated that they have a shortfall between the rent liability and the amount of benefit they receive. For those in receipt of Council Tax Support, the Council may also be able to assist with outstanding Council Tax. All applications are assessed based upon household Income/capital and essential expenditure. Please contact the Council on 0115 9071010 for further information or to make a claim. You can apply online using your My Erewash account.

Advice if you rent a house

If you rent a house and you are struggling to pay your rent because of your circumstances or you are on a low household income, you may be eligible for universal credit. Find out if you are eligible on the Understanding Universal Credit website.

If you are State Pension Credit Age or in supported accommodation you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. See if you are entitled to claim.

Other organisations that can help

Debt Advice

If you are experiencing difficulties paying any debts, the Council recommends that you contact the Citizens Advice on 0808 278 7954 for independent and free advice. Drop in services are available within the Erewash area - please contact them for further details.

Household Support Fund

The household support fund (HSF) offers help to Derbyshire residents facing financial hardship by providing grants and other financial support. The fund is provided to Derbyshire County Council by the Department of Work and Pensions. Following previous allocations of HSF funding, a further grant has been made available for use in Derbyshire up to 30 September 2024. Find out more at

Help with Energy Bills

The Severn Trent Big Difference Scheme: The Big Difference Scheme can offer a reduction of water bills to any Severn Trent customer with a household income below £20,048.08.

British Gas Energy Trust. NOT exclusive to its customers. If you are facing bills you can’t afford and struggling with the rising cost of energy The British Gas Energy Trust can help. They are an independent charitable trust set up to support families and individuals facing financial hardship and energy debt across England, Wales and Scotland.

Food banks

Find your nearest food bank

Cost of Living campaign

Derbyshire County Council has launched a Cost of Living Campaign with lots of information and advice about help that you may be entitled to such as community banks and school meal vouchers for children.

Help for veterans

Veterans' Gateway | Royal British Legion Veterans’ Gateway supports veterans and their families to find the help they need.

Fire Safety

Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service is urging people to take simple steps to protect themselves from accidental fires and carbon monoxide poisoning as you look to keep warm and cut energy use this winter. To help keep safe Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service is encouraging people to complete an online home fire safety check for themselves or their loved ones. Find out more on the Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service website.

Warm Spaces

As we become aware of warms spaces that are available to visit in Erewash we will list them here. Some of Derbyshire County Council's buildings and other venues are open as warm spaces. You can also find out about grants to open a warm space on the the Derbyshire County Council website. 

  • The Infusion Coffee House - Oasis Christian Church, Derby Road, Long Eaton is a Derbyshire County Council funded warm space.

  • P3 Hub, Bath Street, Every Wednesday 12-2pm at P3, 98 Bath Street, Ilkeston, DE7 8FE. From 30 November our P3 hub in Ilkeston will be open every Wednesday as a warm space, providing hot food and drink, for people to meet and socialise. The Cosy Club will provide practical information on being energy efficient and invite specialist energy efficiency guest speakers to support raising awareness of energy efficient solutions and cost-effective ways to stay warm during the winter. People who wish to attend can call 0115 930 9199 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

  • St Thomas Church Hall, - Just off Nottingham Road, Ilkeston, DE7 5RF. Every Wednesday until 22nd February 2023. 12pm until 2pm. Soup and bread, warm drinks, biscuits, company.
  • Ashbrook Community Centre, Borrowash on Mondays from 10.30am to 11.30am
  • Ashbrook Community Centre, Borrowash on Mondays from 11.30am to 1pm for lunch
  • Co-op Funeral Care, Victoria Avenue, Borrowash on Tuesdays from 9.30am to 11.30am - refreshments available
  • Elephant Rooms, Draycott on Tuesdays from 10am to 2pm - hot drinks and cake available
  • All Saints Church, Ockbrook on Wednesdays from 10am to 2pm - refreshments available
  • Petersham Hall, Grasmere Road, Long Eaton on Mondays from 9.30am to 11.30am - hot breakfast and chat
  • Christ Church Methodist Church, Derby Road, Long Eaton from 11am to 2pm - soup and hot drinks
  • Infusion Coffee Shop, Derby Road, Long Eaton on Tuesdays from 1.30pm to 3pm - free hot drinks
  • St John's Church Canal Street, Long Eaton on Wednesdays - 11am for refreshments, midday for a hot lunch and 1pm to 3pm for well-being activities
  • Trinity Methodist Church, Cross Street, Long Eaton open Thursdays - 10.30am for hot drinks and midday for a hot meal
  • St Mary's Church, Wilsthorpe Road, Sawley open Fridays from 10.30am to 2pm - hot drinks, toast and soup
  • The Cosy Club, Bath Street, Ilkeston open Wednesdays from 12 noon to 2pm with hot food and drinks available.
  • Ilkeston Methodist Church, Wilmot Street, Ilkeston every Friday between 10am and 12 noon. Warm welcomes awaits everyone with hot drinks, snacks, craft, games and good company.