Street Collections

To hold a Street Collection in Erewash you will need to apply for a Street Collection permit from the Council's licensing department.

Before making an applicant please ensure that you have read and understood the guidance and regulations regarding Street Collections so that we receive all the relevant  paperwork and there are no unnecessary delays in issuing the permit.


You can submit your application form on by using the Government's Business Link website.  You can also let us know the results of the collection by submitting a returns form on

Application forms and guidance/regulations can be obtained by contacting the Licensing Section.

Do I need a Permit?

If you want to collect money or sell articles in a street or public place within Erewash for the benefit of a charity or other purpose you will need to apply for a Street Collection Permit from the Council.

A street includes any highway and any public road, lane, footway, bridge, square, court, alley or passage.

A collection means a collection of money or a sale of articles for a charitable or other purpose.

Important: There are certain Street Collection regulations attached to this permit. Please ensure you read and meet these requirements as it could affect your application.

These services do not currently incur a fee. The timeframe to process applications is 5 working days.

Exemptions to the requirement for a Street Collection Permit

Where the collection is to take place in an area where the public have no right of access (shops, cinemas, theatres, private dwellings or business premises) then a Street Collection Permit may not be required from the Council. Permission must be sought from the landowner however. If further advice is needed please contact the licensing department.

What happens after the collection?

You will need to submit a form of income and expenditure to tell us how much money was raised, and the amounts used for expenses such as printing, stationery, collecting boxes etc.

This Returns Form is commonly known as a 'form of statement' and must normally be sent back to the licensing department within one month of your collection.

Eligibility Criteria

All applications must be in the form prescribed by the local authority. All collectors must be over the age of 16.

Regulation Summary

Charitable street collections are regulated by the Police, Factories etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916.

Information on other websites

Application Evaluation Process

There is no provision in the legislation.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other Redress

For example bout noise, pollution. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Further Information

If you require further information or advice regarding Street Collections please contact the licensing department using the contact details below:

Licensing Department
Erewash Borough Council
Civic Centre
Derby Road
Long Eaton
NG10 1HU

Call:  0115 9071113
Fax: 0115 9071121
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.