Erewash Borough Council

Street Parking - Permits and Zones

Apply for a parking permit

There are three different types of Parking Permits you can apply for in Erewash.

  • Resident Parking Permit
  • Visitors Parking Permit
  • Business Parking Permit.

Please visit either Ilkeston or Long Eaton Town Hall along with payment. If you require assistance please call our Contact Centre on 0115 9072244. You can pay online via a My Erewash account.

What is a Controlled Zone Parking Scheme?

A residents parking scheme is a street or area where parking is organised in order to help residents park their vehicles. They are provided in areas where vehicles not belonging to residents would otherwise make this difficult. All permits issued will be for one year and will need to be renewed annually

How does this scheme operate?

Derbyshire County Council are responsible for the enforcement of this scheme. Erewash Borough Council only administer the permits on their behalf. For any queries regarding this or any other on-street residents parking please call 01629 538671.

Where does the scheme operate?

The following streets are included in the Residents Parking scheme:

Albert Road Area, Long Eaton

  • Albert Road - 1A to 48, 54

  • Alexandra Road – 1 to 16

  • Broad Street – 1 to 8

  • Edward Road – 1 to 16

  • Lawrence Street – 1 to 82

  • Milner Road – 1 to 59

  • Northcote Street – 1 to 8

  • Oxford Street – 1 to 8

  • Regent Street – 11 to 87

  • Salisbury Street – 1A to 43

  • Stanley Street - 16 to 54

  • Victoria Court, Off Broad Street – 1 to 20

  • West Park Court, Off Broad Street – 1 to 21

  • Claye Street 14-24

  • Fletcher Street - 2

  • Romorantin Place - all

Queens Drive Area, Ilkeston

  • Albert Street – 1 to 19, 21A to 46

  • Cedar Park - 1 to 12
  • Darwin Avenue – 1 to 20

  • Queens Drive – 1 to 39

  • Lissett Avenue – 1 to 12

  • Moss Road – 1 to 19

  • Oakwell Drive - 27, 29, 37, 39

St Mary Street Area, Ilkeston

  • Bath Street - 63
  • Burns Street – 1-15 Chapel House

  • Fullwood Street - 7 to 20 (and Fullwood Avenue1-4)

  • Gregory Street – Clifton House, 1 to 36

  • Jackson Avenue – 3 to 36

  • Lord Haddon Way - Oaklands, 65a, 87

  • Market Place 17,22,24
  • New Lawn Road – 18 to 34, Lawn View

  • St Mary Street – 1 to 26

  • Wharcliffe Road - 81
  • Wilmot Street – 10 to 30

What is the cost of a parking permit?

 The cost of the permits and the allocations is as follows:

  • Residents Permit - £35.00 per annum (First Permit)

  • Residents Permit - £50.00 per annum (Additional Permits)

  • Visitors Permit - £13.00 per annum (Limited to 1 per property)

  • Business Permit - £70.00 per annum (Limited to 1 per property)

  • Replacements for a lost or stolen permit £21

  • Disabled Residents – May be entitled to a free residents and visitors permit.

  • A disabled badge or proof of Disability Living allowance, PiP or Attendance Allowance must be seen.

  • Change of vehicle registration – Free.

Who qualifies for a residents permit?

A resident who is a Motor Insurance Policyholder and keeps/uses a car, van with an unladen weight not exceeding 35cwt (1,778kg) or motorcycle on a full-time basis will normally qualify for one permit at the standard rate of £35.00 per annum.

Businesses operating within a controlled zone area may qualify for one Business Permit.

Who qualifies for a visitors permit?

Only one Visitors Permit can be issued to each household at the rate of £13.00 per annum to be used only by visitors to the property.

Please note: You may apply for a visitors permit in addition to one residents permit.


Disabled Persons Badge Holders who reside in the area or those in receipt of Disability Living allowance, Personal Independance payment and Attendance allowance may be entitled to one Residents Permit and one Visitors Permit free of charge, subject to verification.

You cannot park in permit holders' spaces unless you have a valid permit for the area.

How to use your permit

Visitors permits may only be given to those calling at the permit holder’s address. It is the householder’s responsibility to ensure that their permit is retrieved from a visitor’s vehicle at the end of their stay.

All permits must be displayed clearly in the windscreen of the vehicle.

What the permit allows you to do

The permit will let you park in any parking spaces which are reserved for permit holders.

Visitors to the area without permits can only park in the areas marked '2 hours – no return within 1 hour'.

Where to apply

You can renew and pay for residents permits by visiting the Town Halls at Ilkeston or Long Eaton.

How long will it take to process my application?

Please allow 4-5 working days for us to process you application. We advise you find alternative parking until your permit arrives to avoid receiving a Penalty Charge Notice.

I have changed my vehicle what do I need to do?

We will require the make, model, colour and registration of the new car, as well as a copy of your car insurance for the new vehicle; these details can be posted to the address below or handed in at the Town Hall. You will not be charged to change these details.

Erewash Borough Council
Resources Directorate
Merlin House
Merlin Way

Your duties as a permit holder

It is your duty to ensure:

  • Your permit is valid

  • Your permit has not expired

  • That the registration number is correct

  • Your permit is used in accordance with the conditions of issue

  • Your permit is displayed correctly

  • That your permit is renewed if it starts to fade

Renewing your permit

You are responsible for renewing your permit when it expires as no reminders will be sent.

All permits must be renewed annually. When renewing a permit it is necessary to complete a new application form and submit proof of residency and a copy of car insurance. This is also applicable to Visitors Permits.

I have a company car can I still obtain a permit?

Yes. The application process is the same as above but you will need to provide a copy of the company’s insurance policy showing you are authorised to drive the vehicle. Or a company headed letter stating you are employed by them and you are insured to drive the company car.

I currently have a temporary courtesy car what do I do?

You will need to provide a copy of the hire agreement given to you by the insurance company; we will need to know what the registration number is of the temporary car and how long you expect to have it for. You will need to display your residents permit in the window, the Civil Enforcement Officers will then be informed about the situation.

Withdrawal of a permit

A permit may be withdrawn or invalidated if:

  • It is found that a permit is not being used in accordance with these guidelines

  • It is found that a person is no longer eligible to hold a permit

  • The permit is altered of defaced in any way or passed to unauthorised users.

Residents parking scheme suspension

Erewash Borough Council has designated authority to suspend the residents parking scheme as required. An example if this would be the annual Ilkeston Charter Fair, where the Ilkeston scheme will be suspended from the Monday prior to the fair opening. Dates for the suspension will be provided on this website.

Warning: Any person knowingly making a false statement to fraudulently obtain a permit is liable to a fine not exceeding £2,500 under the Road Traffic Act 198).

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer, and to this end may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.