What is self-build and custom build?

Self-build housing means that you are directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home. Custom build usually means working with a specialist developer to help you deliver your home.

What area does the register cover?

Gedling Borough Council is hosting Self-Build and Custom Build Registers on behalf of Broxtowe Borough Council, Erewash Borough Council, Nottingham City Council and Rushcliffe Borough Council. The register allows you to choose which area(s) you are interested in building in.

A map of each Council area can be viewed by clicking on the following links:

What is the purpose of the register and how will it be used?

The Government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own home. Councils are required to keep a register of interested individuals and associations which will provide an indication of the demand for self/custom build locally. The information held by the register will allow the Councils to develop their housing and planning policies to support the kinds of self and custom build projects that would be most appropriate and also to explore how to bring people and plots together.  We shall use the information gathered to explore ways in which it may be possible to achieve this, for instance by including appropriate policies in Local Plans.

We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the participating Councils without the written consent of the person who registered their details.

Registering your interest in self-build and custom build

If you would like to register your interest, please read the guidance notes and complete the registration form.

By signing up you will help us find out more about the number and location of sites which are sought and the types of houses that people would like to build. Registration does not however guarantee that a suitable serviced plot will be identified or become available.

Help to build

Help to Build is a new government equity loan for people who want to self-build or custom build their own home. Further details and guidance can be found on the Government's Help to Build web page.

More information on self-build and custom build

If a developer has a site or plot(s) available for people to build their own home, we can pass the information from a developer to those on the register.  As we are unable to share information of those on the register for data protection reasons, we can notify those on the register of a site’s availability in the area where they wish to build.

The Self Build Portal includes a range of advice on how to source self-build plots and can be found on the Self Build Portal website.

The National Custom and Self Build Association toolkit includes a range of useful information and can be found on the Right to Build Toolkit website. If you require any further information, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. the Planning Policy team or call 0115 907 2244 ext. 56001.