Food poisoning agents are very diverse; Salmonella, Campylobacter, E.coli O157, viruses, toxins and chemicals are just a few that can cause gastrointestinal illnesses. Some of these agents are not spread via food or water but by person-to-person contact or via contaminated environments, especially viruses. There are links to further information below and links to advice on how to avoid food poisoning.

What to do if you think you have suffered food poisoning?

First consult your GP to receive the appropriate treatment. The GP should also ask you to submit a specimen of your faeces so that the specific organism, which is causing your illness, can be identified. If a food poisoning bacteria is identified by the laboratory the results will be reported to the Environmental Health Section.

Environmental Health are told of relevant cases of food poisoning that require our investigation by laboratory reports from the Public Health England. 

We may also investigate complaints direct from members of the public who suspect they have suffered food poisoning. However without the results of a sample this may not be possible as there are many things that can cause similar symptoms.

However if you are aware of a number of people with similar illness which may be food poisoning e.g. guests at a particular function or the residents of a residential home etc, please contact us at the address below.

Further information

More information on infectious disease and food poisoning is available at the following external websites:

Contact us

Environmental Health
Merlin House, Merlin Way, Ilkeston. DE74RA

Telephone 0115 907 2244 ext 3820

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer