You are currently able to access your Council Tax and Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support details online. If you are already registered and have a username and password please select Existing Users Log In below.


Sign in / Register
My Erewash Login
The Council Tax charge is partly based on the value of a property and partly on the number of adult residents. The property element and the person element each amount to 50% of the charge.

Details of some of the discounts/reliefs are listed below and application forms are also available on the Forms page of this website, to enable you to apply for any relevant reduction. However the quickest way to apply is to apply online.

If you are on a low income (i.e. Job Seekers Allowance or have a low paid job), you may be able to get a reduction in your Council Tax.  If there is just yourself and another adult in the property and that adult is on a low income, you may qualify for Second Adult Rebate.  Complete the application form for Council Tax Support and we will check whether this is applicable.

Apply for help if you or another adult is on a low income

Apply for Exemption/Discount online

There are changes to discounts for unoccupied properties. For more information, please click on the Council tax exemptions page.

The basic bill assumes that there are two adults resident in the property. If there are more than two, the charge is not increased, but if there are fewer than two, a Single Person Discount can be granted. This discount amounts to 25% of the total charge, in other words, half of the personal element of the charge.

Anyone living with dementia, Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s or other similar conditions may be entitled to a council tax reduction. If granted, it means those living alone will not pay any council tax, while those living with another adult aged over 18 may qualify for a 25% reduction. A carer may also qualify for a reduction if they are providing care for at least 35 hours a week, live in the same property and are not related to the person. There are conditions that need to be met to qualify for a Severe Mental Impairment (SMI) council tax discount/exemption. Anyone wanting more help and guidance can contact Citizens Advice on their helpline 0300 456 8390 or contact the relevant charities offering support, including the Alzheimer’s Society, Dementia UK and Carers UK.

If you know someone who has dementia please read the guidance from the Alzheimers Society about how you may be eligible to claim a discount if you have dementia or are a carer. 

More information on how to claim the 'severely mentally impaired' council tax discount can also be found on Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website. 


Since 1 April 2014, annexes which are used by the occupier of the main house as part of the main home, or annexes which are occupied by a relative of the person living in the main house will be entitled to a 50% reduction in the council tax payable on the annexe.

The 50% reduction is on top of any other discount you or your relative may be entitled to. For example, if your adult son is living in the annexe on his own. He will be liable for council tax and be entitled to a 25% single occupier discount and a 50% annexe discount.

To qualify for the annexe discount:

  • The annexe must form part of a single property which includes at least one other dwelling. That is, the annexe must be within the grounds of the main house (not necessarily attached) and must be included in the title deeds of the main house and not registered separately.

And either:

  • The annexe is being used by the resident of the main house, as part of their main home


  • The annexe is lived in by a relative of the person who lives in the main house. For this purpose a relative is defined as: a partner, parent, child, step child, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew and niece (also includes great grandparent, great grandchild etc. and great great grandparent etc.).

Other reductions available for annexes

If you have a close relative who lives in the annexe and they are over 65 years of age or they are either severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled we may be able to award an exemption from council tax for the annexe.

If the annexe is unoccupied and cannot be let separately because of a planning restriction then it could also be exempt.

Discretionary Council Tax Relief

The Local Government Finance Act 1992 (as amended) gives Erewash Borough Council the discretion to reduce Council Tax in individual cases or groups of cases. This is known as a discretionary reduction and the cost of discretionary reductions have to be met from our funds or through increasing Council Tax for other payers.  We will consider all written applications with supporting evidence on an individual basis.

Disregarded persons

When counting the number of adult residents in a property, certain categories of people are not included. For this reason they are known as "disregarded persons". A brief description of some of these categories is shown below:

  • Students, Student Nurses and non-British spouses or dependants of full-time students

  • Apprentices (salary no more than £195.00 per week) and Youth Training Scheme Trainees.

  • Persons over 18 in respect of whom Child Benefit is still payable.

  • Persons who are resident in a nursing home and receiving care.

  • School and further education college leavers under 20, from the date they leave school to 1 November that year.

  • Persons in Prison or detained under the Mental Health Act/Immigration law.

  • Severely mentally impaired persons who are entitled to certain qualifying state benefits.

  • Persons living in the property in order to provide care for another person (unless they are paid more than £44 a week for this) and that person is not a spouse, partner or child under 18 years.

  • Members of international headquarters and their dependants.

  • Members of religious communities with no income or capital of their own.

  • Residents of hostels, night shelters.

In order to assess whether you qualify for discount, count up the number of adults in your household and then exclude anyone in the disregarded categories above.

  • If the total is two or more, no discount is applicable.

  • If the total is one, you will qualify for a 25% discount.

  • If the total is zero, a discount of 50% of the charge will apply.

A property may have a resident count of zero because all the occupiers are disregarded, for example, a family consisting of a student and a person still on Child Benefit.

Disabled Relief

If you, or someone who lives with you, need a room, or an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a reduced Council Tax bill.

The bill may be reduced to that of a dwelling in the band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list (if the dwelling is in Band A, the reduced charge is calculated as five ninths of a Band D charge).

These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more Council Tax on account of space needed because of a disability.


Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer