Open data is information held by the government and local councils which is freely available for use and re-use by the public.

The aim is to:

  • Make all data we hold available online (unless private or sensitive)

  • Encourage residents, businesses and anyone else with an interest to use our data to develop applications

  • Increase transparency and accountability.

Open and Transparent Data

This section has been created to support Erewash Borough Council's commitment to providing easy access to information on how we work, how we make decisions and the services we provide.

It also includes all of the data required to be published under the Local Government Transparency Code 2015.

The data on this page is published under the Open Government Licence and is available for you to re-use as you like, including for commercial and research activities.

Local Government Transparency Code Data

Expenditure exceeding £500
Details of each individual invoice of expenditure that exceeds £500 (in this case, Erewash provides expenditure over £250)

Government Procurement Cards
Erewash Borough Council does not use Government Procurement Cards

Tenders and Contracts
Details of each current contract that the council holds

Invitations to tender for contracts to provide goods and/or services can be found by going to the Council’s e-procurement system.

Local Authority Land
The Asset Register identifies all land and buildings owned or leased by the Council.

Trade Unions
There are 3 members of staff who are union representatives. None of them spend over 50% of their time participating in union duties. The unions they represent are Unison, GMB and UCATT. An estimated 0.0007% of the total council employee pay is spent on union duties

Parking revenues
The annual parking revenue report is provided by Derbyshire ParkSmarter, a partnership between Derbyshire County Council and the eight district and borough councils. ParkSmarter have been provided annual reports by Erewash and are in the process of updating the annual reports page.

Controlled parking spaces
Full information on our car parks, including locations, charges and hours of stay. There are 1,512 controlled parking spaces in our borough.

Pay policy and Senior salaries
Including employee salaries and grades, senior employee salaries, and pay multiples

The Constitution is the council’s ‘rule book’, providing the framework within which business is conducted and decisions are made.

Fraud investigation
Employee details, expenditure and regulation information on fraud investigations 

Waste contracts
Details of our current waste and recycling contracts

Open Data

In this section we publish public lists and registers that are frequently requested under Freedom of Information. These will be updated regularly and an upload date for each file will be provided 

Public health funeral register
A list of all funerals assisted by the council on behalf of a third party. Updated 28/10/19.

Business Rates list
A list of all commercial properties in the borough for which Business Rates are charged. Updated as per the date in the file name.

Empty commercial properties
A list of all commercial properties that are considered vacant for the purpose of Business Rates. Updated as per the date in the file name.

Payments to suppliers

All invoices over £250 (inclusive of VAT) are available for download.  The amount shown on the files is net of VAT as this is the actual cost to the Council. All information is taken from the Council's financial ledger.

More information and all the downloads are available on our Payments to suppliers page.

Changes to Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

New General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) started on 25 May 2018. Data can seem a complex subject, but its part of everything we do. The GDPR puts customers' rights at the centre of data protection. It will change how businesses and local authorities handle the information held on you.

If you’d like to find out more you can read our Privacy Policy,  the information below summaries how we comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation and how you can obtain details of personal information we hold about you.

What's new?

There are quite a few differences between the way things work now and the way they will work in the future.  The GDPR will make it much easier for you to get hold of the information organisations hold on you, and will give you the right to withdraw consent for your personal data to be used, when consent is used as the lawful basis for processing your data. You can request information held on you free-of-charge.

  • you will be able to get hold of the information organisations hold on you much more freely
  • it will be simpler for you to withdraw consent for your personal data to be used
  • you will be able to ask for data to be deleted
  • councils and all organisations will need to obtain "explicit" consent when they process sensitive personal data
  • personal data will include things such as IP addresses, DNA and small text files known as cookies
  • it will be a criminal offence to re-identify anyone from anonymised or pseudonymised data

Both personal data and sensitive personal data are covered by GDPR.

What is personal data?

Personal data is information about a living individual from which that person can be identified. That information can be in a variety of formats. For example it might be on computer, in a paper filing system or in more unusual formats such as CCTV footage.

Why does Erewash Borough Council collect data about people?

We need to collect personal data to fulfil our functions in relation to the provision of services such as planning, environmental health, enforcement, licensing, collection of council tax and business rates, and payment of Housing Benefits.

What principles apply to the collection of personal data?

There are six governing principles that must be followed in relation to the processing of data about individuals:

  1. Personal data should be processed fairly, lawfully and in a transparent manner.
  2. Data should be obtained for specified and lawful purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes.
  3. The data should be adequate, relevant and not excessive.
  4. The data should be accurate and where necessary kept up to date.
  5. Data should not be kept for longer than necessary.
  6. Data should be kept secure.

For more information, see our Data Protection Policy.

Subject Access Requests

As a data subject you have the right:

  • to be told whether we are processing information about you,
  • to be provided with a description of the data, why we are processing it and the sorts of people or organisations we might disclose the information to,
  • to be provided with a copy of the data in an intelligible and permanent form, and
  • to be told, if we know, where the information was obtained from.

How do I make a Subject Access Request?

You must make a Subject Access Request (SAR) in writing with a verifiable signature. You can do this by using our Subject Access Request Form. 

When making a Subject Access Request you will be asked to provide some means of identification. This is to safeguard all Data Subjects by making sure that we only supply information to those who are entitled to receive it. Acceptable forms of identification are a birth certificate or driving license or a photocopy of either. Original documents, if provided, will be returned to you as soon as possible.

If I am unable to make a Subject Access Request myself can I ask somebody to do it for me?

Yes, but you will need to give them authority to do so. If there is no-one who can help you then let the Data Protection Officer at the Council know and they will make arrangements for somebody to assist you if necessary.

Is there a fee to make a Subject Access Request?

There is no fee for the provision of a subject access request following the introduction of GDPR on the 25 May 2018.

How long will a Subject Access Request take?

We will endeavour to provide you with the requested information as soon as possible and no later than 1 (one) month from receipt of a valid request.

Can I always obtain information about myself?

Not always. The Regulation has a number of exemptions. If you make a Subject Access Request and we consider that the information concerned is exempt from any provision of the Act then we will explain why. If you disagree with our view, you can ask us to reconsider or you can take the matter up with the Information Commissioner who oversees compliance with this legislation whose details are given at the end of this page.

What can I do if I think that information you hold about me is incorrect?

Write to us explaining what you think is wrong and ask for the data to be corrected. We must tell you what we have done or intend to do within 21 days. If you do not agree with our decision, you can ask us to record that disagreement for future reference - or you can take the matter up with the Information Commissioner.

Can I claim any compensation if I think that information about me has been wrongly used?

If we have broken any of the rules or conditions established by the Regulation and you have suffered damage or distress as a result of this, then you may be able to claim compensation through the Courts. Any such claim will need to show that we had not taken reasonable care to comply with the GDPR.

Contact us

To get in touch about data protection contact the Data Protection Officer at

Or write to

The Performance and Community Manager

Erewash Borough Council

Ilkeston Town Hall

Wharncliffe Road

Ilkeston, Derbyshire



The ICO is the UK's independent body set up to uphold information rights. The ICO has a duty to promote public access to official information and protecting your personal information and provides extensive guidance on how people can exercise their rights. For more information visit the ICO website or call 0303 123 1113

Re-use of information

On 1 July 2005 a new directive, the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2005 SI 2005 No. 1515 (PSI) was introduced to allow people to apply to re-use information held by us. We are not under any automatic obligation to allow re-use of information but if we do allow re-use of any of our public sector information, this has to be done in accordance with the regulations.

Re-use means using the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which the document was originally produced.

Examples of public sector information are national and local legislation, statistics, local planning, tourist information, and guidance on local community issues and policies etc.

To comply with PSI legislation we have a duty to:

  • Respond to all PSI requests within 20 working days. This period may be extended where the request is extensive or complex
  • Offer appropriate advice and guidance, where necessary
  • Grant licences for re-use of public sector information where applicable
  • Levy fees where there is reasonable justification to cover the costs of producing and supplying the data.

The focus of Freedom of Information is on access to information, whereas the PSI Regulations refer to its re-use.


Receiving information under Freedom of Information and other information access regimes does not give you an automatic right to re-use the information and you must make a distinct request to re-use it.

The new directive does not provide access to the information itself. That is available through the Freedom of Information Act 2000, Data Protection Act 1998 or other access to information regimes such as the Environmental Information Regulations 2004

To be valid a request must:

  • be in writing, which includes email
  • state your name and address
  • specify the document which you want to re-use
  • state the purpose for which the document is to be re-used

N.B. This applies only if you want to re-use information held by us, otherwise requests for access to information should be handled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 .


An applicant must have obtained the information under any access request before he/she can have an application to make a re-use considered.

A request for access and re-use may be combined.

There is no prescribed form but your request can be made by applying in writing to:

Performance and Information Security Officer
Erewash Borough Council
Town Hall 
Wharncliffe Road 


Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer