To carry out House to House Collection in Erewash you will need to apply for a house to house collection licence from the Council's licensing department using this application form (PDF).

Before making an application please ensure that you have read and understood the guidance and regulations regarding House to House Collections so that we receive all the relevant paperwork and there are no unnecessary delays in issuing the permit.

Do I need a Licence?

A Licence is required if you want undertake charitable collections of money or articles from houses or businesses (including factories, offices and public houses) in Erewash for the benefit of a charity or similar purpose.

Collections are regulated by the House to House Collections Act 1939 and part of the proceeds of the collection must go to a charity or similar cause.

For help with your application we advise that you download the House to House Collection Guidelines (PDF).

Important: There are certain House to House Collection Regulations (PDF) attached to this Licence. Please ensure you read and meet these requirements as it could affect your application.

These services do not currently incur a fee. The timeframe to process applications is five working days.

Exemptions to the requirement for a House to House Licence

  • If the collection is part of a national collection scheme and they are on the national exemption list from the Cabinet Office.

  • If you are carrying out a charitable collection, but only on a street. In this case you will need to apply for Street Collections Permit from the Council.

  • If you are selling goods or items door to door. In this case you would require a pedlar's licence from the police. However you should not suggest that the proceeds of any sales are going to charity.

What happens after the collection?

You will need to submit a form of income and expenditure to tell us how much money was raised, and the amounts used for expenses such as printing, stationery, collecting boxes etc.

This returns form is commonly known as a Form of Statement and must normally be sent back to the licensing department within one month of your collection.

How do I apply?

You can submit your application form online by using the Government's Business Link website. You can also let us know the results of the collection by submitting a returns form online.

Alternatively you can download and complete the application form (PDF) or returns form (PDF), and send them to the Council.

Eligibility Criteria

All applications must be in the form prescribed by the local authority. All collectors must be over the age of 16.

You must be a fit and proper person.

Regulation Summary

House to House Collections are regulated by the House to House Collections Act 1939.

Information on other websites

Application Evaluation Process

There is no provision in the legislation.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office. Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office. Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the decision.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Equal Opportunities Monitoring

Erewash Borough Council is actively committed to treating all customers with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. We would like to know who our customers are to check that everyone in the Borough is accessing the services they are entitled to and that no-one is is discriminated against unlawfully. Please take a short time to download and complete the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form. All information will be treated as confidential and all questions are voluntary. This will help us to ensure that our services are fair and accessible to all. Please return the completed form to

Further Information

If you require further information or advice regarding House to House Collections please contact the licensing department using the contact details below;

Licensing Department
Erewash Borough Council
Civic Centre
Derby Road
Long Eaton
NG10 1HU

Call: 0115 9071113
Fax: 0115 9071121

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer