You are currently able to access your Council Tax and Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support details online. If you are already registered and have a username and password please select Existing Users Log In below.


Sign in / Register
My Erewash Login


What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is replacing several benefits for people who are on a low income and who are not working. Certain benefit claimants will need to claim Universal Credit via the local Job Centre.

The following benefits are due to be replaced by Universal Credit and will be included with in any award:

  • Income Support

  • Income Related Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance

  • Housing Benefit

  • Working Tax Credit

  • Child Tax Credit.

Universal Credit will be administered by the Department for Work and Pensions and paid on a monthly basis. Information on eligibility and how to make a claim can be found on the website.

You will need the following when making an online application:

  • National Insurance number

  • Details of any capital held in any bank, building society or Post Office accounts

  • Your tenancy agreement (where applicable)

  • Details of any other income

  • Details of other benefits you may receive

  • Details of your household make up maybe required. (e.g. partners income )

  • Your email address and telephone number.

Please be aware any delay in applying to the Department of Work and Pensions for Universal Credit can only be backdate in exceptional circumstances.

Who can apply?

Post codes served by the Ilkeston and Long Eaton Job Centres within Erewash offer a Full Digital Universal Credit Service. All new applicationsfrom this date should be for Universal Credit unless they fall into one of the exempt catergories, which are tenants in exempt supported accommodation, those with 3 or more children and those of Pension Credit age.

If you are liable to pay rent and Council Tax at your address the housing costs (which would previously be Housing Benefit) will be included in your Universal Credit award and paid monthly. In certain circumstances if you are unable to manage your finances you can request payment of the Housing Element to be made directly to your landlord.

Council Tax Support should be claimed from the local authority. If you do not make a claim for Council Tax Support you will then be liable to meet the full Council Tax charge.

Universal Credit Full Service is digital - which means everything has to be done online. Erewash Borough Council can assist customers with their application for Universal Credit using their own devices or the computers in the receptions areas or customers can use the computers themselves. Libraries also have computers which can be used by customers.

Personal budgeting support is available. Appointments and drop-in sessions are held at Ilkeston Town Hall on Fridays and Long Eaton Town Hall on Tuesdays. Please email or to arrange an appointment.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments will still be administered by Erewash Borough Council even if you no longer claim Housing Benefit but in receipt of the Housing Element of Universal Credit and you have a shortfall.

Further information on how to claim can be obtained from any of the following:

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer