Food Premises Approval

All food premises need to be registered unless you operate a food premises that handles food of animal origin that is supplied on to another business. In this case you may need to be approved by Erewash Borough Council or the Food Standards Agency rather than registered.

Visit our Food premises registration page for more details of what needs to be registered.

Formal approval is generally needed for manufacturers of products of animal origin, such as dairies, meat product manufacturers or wholesale fish markets. These types of premises are required by European Community Directive 853/2004 to be approved and generally their products must display a health mark or be accompanied by a health certificate. Each local authority in the country (and places across the EU) has a unique code which ensures that the origin of the food can always be established.

Once approved, details of the premises together with information relating to types of foods produced are forwarded to Food Standards Agency to be kept on a central EU register.

Approval is required before starting the business and must be applied for well in advance of your proposed start date. You are advised to contact us for advice prior to completing the application form.

If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact us via the details below.

Apply Online

Contact Us

Environmental Health
Merlin House, Merlin Way, Ikeston, DE74RA
Telephone 0115 907 2244
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.