Council Tax Property Bands 

All domestic properties are chargeable propertie" for the purposes of Council Tax and the amount of Council Tax payable depends on the valuation band into which the property has been placed. Each property has been banded based on its expected selling price as at April 1991.

Find your Council Tax Band

You can find your Council Tax band on the Valuation Office Agency website.


Value (£)

ANot over £40,000
BBetween £40,001 and £52,000
CBetween £52,001 and £68,000
DBetween £68,001 and £88,000
EBetween £88,001 and £120,000
FBetween £120,001 and £160,000
GBetween £160,001 and £320,000
HOver £320,001

Council Tax appeals

You may feel that you have grounds for appealing about the banding of your property.

The grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following cases:

  • Where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction (this is explained below) in the dwelling’s value.

  • Where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between the domestic and business use changes.

  • Where the listing officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer

  • Where you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time. (Your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again.)

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering, or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale – so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any physical change in the state of the local area or an adaptation to make the dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

You can view your property and check if you can request a review, by selecting ‘council tax’ on the VOA Website.

Correspondence Address for the VOA

The Valuation Officer for Erewash Borough Council, Valuation Office Agency, Durham Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, Durham, DH1 3UW.

Contact Details

Call 03000 501501. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm.

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt; or that we have made a mistake in calculating your bill.

If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify the council in writing so that we have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.

Further details of the appeal procedure (including the role of valuation tribunals) can be obtained from the Revenues Section.