Erewash Borough Council

Council Tax £150 Energy Rebate

As part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs, they have announced a £150 rebate for certain households. 

Who can get this £150 rebate?

Householders whose main residences is in a band A to D property (or living in a band E property and are entitled to a disabled band reduction) will qualify for this rebate. If you don’t know which band your property is in, you can find it on your latest Council Tax bill or use the Valuation Office website to check using this link Check your Council Tax band - GOV.UK (

Empty properties and second homes are excluded from receiving a payment under this scheme.

On top of this discount, discretionary funding of £144 million will also be provided to support vulnerable people and individuals on low incomes that do not pay Council Tax, or that pay Council Tax for properties in Bands E-H.  Further details will be made available shortly.

How will I get the £150?

It is intended that payment will be made direct to your bank account. The £150 award will not reduce your Council Tax liability and you should continue to pay your bill as normal.

When will I get the £150?

The £150 payments are now being made to households who paid by direct debit.

Payment can take up to 6 weeks after the date of your Direct Debit payment due to the required checks. Therefore, please do not contact us about your payment until 6 weeks have passed. For example, if you paid your Council Tax by direct debit on 1st April 2022, the earliest you can contact us regarding 'non payment' is 11th May 2022.

If 6 weeks have passed and you still have not received payment please complete the Energy Bills Rebate Enquiry form from your My Erewash account.

There are more than 36,000 direct debit payers in Erewash and we are processing these as quickly as possible and ask you to be patient with us.

Please do not contact us to find out what date you will be paid as this will delay us being able to process the payments.

An application process for non-Direct Debit payers will be set up as soon as the work to pay the Direct Debit payers has been completed.

How will we make the payment?

If we have your bank details because you pay by Direct Debit, we will pay the money into your bank account automatically.

PLEASE NOTE:  There is currently an issue if your sort code or bank account number begins with a zero and payment cannot be made at this time.  Please accept our apologies for this, payment will be made as soon as possible.

If we don’t hold your bank details you will need to provide these on a form that will be set up specifically for this scheme. This means payment will take longer. 

Sign in/Register for a My Erewash Personal account 

I have received a £150 payment but do not think I am entitled to it or I do not want it

If you do not believe you meet the qualifying criteria, you may be required to pay it back.

If your property is in a band E and you are not in receipt of Council Tax Support you may have been paid in error.  We will be in contact in the near future regarding repayment.  

If you do not want the payment for any other reason the council cannot accept it back.  Although it is a payment from the government to assist with rising energy costs you are free to spend it as you wish. If you do not want it you may donate it charity or gift to someone else as you see fit.  

Where can I find out more information?

More information about the £150 rebate, as well as other ways the government is helping with rising energy costs, is available on the Government's website.

Advice for customers requesting a Council Tax band review

If you want to request a review of your Council Tax band, you will need to explain to the Valuation Office Agency why you believe your band is incorrect and provide supporting evidence.  More information can be found on the Government's website:

Guidance from the Valuation Office Agency 

Challenging Your Band - Valuation Office Agency Article